Saturday 6 June 2009

Be there or be square

Tomorrow, we will vote!

The election for the European Parliament is held tomorrow (Sunday 7th June). This is a big deal since I am a eligable voter! (or it should be big deal otherwise too..) We had an assignment in school a couple of months ago to make a research of what the different Swedish parties interests were in the EU. It was very tiresome but in the end it was interesting and gave me a great favour -knowing for who to vote for.

There are thousands and other thousands of people who became eligable to vote for tomorrow. My fellow 18(19 actually) year olds I sincerely hope you will go out tomorrow and VOTE.
I know it seems like a waste of time since it doesn't feel like you can change anything by voting. And even more worthless when it's not even your own country, it's EU. But I think that is a LOAD of CRAP! No matter how lazy you are no matter what it is, YOU Y-O-U have the right to vote for how things (somewhere) should go down. You didn't have to work for that right you, didn't have to fight for that right. It comes naturally to you, after you turn 18 when it's time for an election a letter with your votingcard will automtically come down your mailbox. You take that for granted. I' mean just stop thinking about yourself for one second, you'd rather have countries with vote cheats, one candidate election or dictatorships, right? There are SO many people in this world who would literally kill for a right like we have for example in Sweden. People get killed because, well I don't know, demonstartes for democracy even! But you don't wanna think about that, no you think about that it's too tiresome to keep yourself updated on the parties and those kind of stuff.

I'm gonna vote but not because I care so much about EU but because it's a gesture of democracy and my freedom.


A very clever friend of mine once said: When you don't vote you let other people rule over you.

4 comments:

Elin said...

I'm voting and I know what to vote for :) It's just so ironic that the place where I'm voting is at my old school...

Tiffany said...

That's great! :D Haha I thought it was my old school but it's some other place now..XD

Kajsa said...

At the test, I got what I had planned to vote for!! Awsome.

Tiffany said...

re Kajsa: Awesome :) Maybe it was that party who gained 7,1% ? XD