Friday 28 May 2010

Will that be all, Mr Stark?

(As I post this I'm so high on sleepyness I don't know why I'm doing this. It's part of my portfolio. Jenny I don't really mean it.)

In the success of Batman, Spiderman, Fantastic four and the whole bunch of comic-book leotard dressed heroes, comes Iron Man (2008). With less of the leotards and more of a flying robot suit, Iron Man is best entertaining for comic-book nerds and 14 year old boys.

The movie centers Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.), an egocentric, multi billionaire, womanizing weapon developer (which also can be translated into every guy’s dream).

Life is a ball for Tony until he gets kidnapped by Afghan terrorists, get a blue shining pacemaker-like device operated into the chest and forced into building a super missile weapon for the terrorists. Together with another captive he secretly builds a robot suit to help them escape (I’m sure a robot suit is the first thing that pops into your head when you want to flee from terrorists).

After a not so teary death of his construction companion and the realization that his weapons were actually used to kill people, he has a change of heart. No more weapons, he wants to help people now. With that said the whole first hour of the movie is already gone.

Despite a great performance by Robert Downey Jr., the movie falls short in too many places. While the cliché one liners, including “Keep the skies clear” and “I am Iron man”, made male viewers in the age between nine and 14 think ‘Wow, Tony is badass’, they almost made me want to throw up and a chair at the TV screen. Not even the funny lines went all the way home, they felt so rehearsed I’m sure I could see the reflection of the script in their eyes.

I can see that they were trying to pull a Batman begins and that’s why 90 minutes of the 121 min movie was spent on looking at Tony building the Iron man suit rather than him actually doing something with it. As an individual movie Iron man is just too little too late.

Will that be all, Mr Stark?
We do hope so.

2 comments:

Kajsa said...

Omg, vilken sågande och komisk recention! Gesh... jag skulle inte vilja att du recencerade något jag skrivit...

Tiffany said...

Aawwww men Kajsa! XD Skulle jag väl inte göörraa!