Saturday 25 April 2009

The ghosts of my parents past

Yes here I am supposed to analyse the causes to the Vietnam war. And....I am not. It is quite interesting actually especially for me since both of my parents lived in Vietnam during that time. It's interesting to hear my dad tell stories about it and it have given me a reason to ask about their past.

I don't want to you to think that me and my siblings aren't allowed to ask about their childhood, or the war or the escape to Sweden. But we are, and my parents would always tell us without hesitation. It's just that we don't. You might find it strange and even I started to think that a while ago. Why don't I know things about their past, why don't we ever talk about our lives, why don't we like ever "hang out" and so on. And just a couple of weeks ago it striked me that I didn't know if my parents had gone to university or not.

And I recently I've thought it was so weird, because I always heard from my friends how they go to the movies with their moms or know exactly how their parents met and fell in love and so on. I feel that my relation with my parents are very "children and parents". My parents are my parents, my mom is my mom and my dad is my dad. They are there for me when I need them, they cook, drive me to violin lessons, pay for my chinese class, tell me when to come home and those kind of things. That's it end of story. That's the function they've become to have. My parents aren't my friends. Why am I so different? What is wrong?

I've just realized yesterday that it was OK.

I'm not the odd one out in this world (because at least I've got my sister and brother). It is okej because this is the way we've grown up with. This is how the chinese culture is; we've always learnt to respect the ones that are older, and their businesses are their businesses and you should respect that. And whatever your role is in this life you should carry it out as honourable and well as possible. That's why your parents are your parents, that is what they should do. And as well we're brought up we are children to our parents, that is what we should do.

I'm never really felt this culture clash so personal before but I'm all alright. :)

(Wwwoooooowww, toooo serious! XD So why don't you vote at my poll to de-serious yourself. :P)

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Du borde fråga mer. It's quite intresting. Speciellt om när de flydde och sådant. Nej, men alltså är det inte lite tråkigt att inte veta nånting om sina föräldrar?

Kajsa said...

Om du tycker att det är okej, så är det okej. Du behöver väl inte oroa dig bara för att sånna som jag är kompis med min mamma (sen så har jag ju ingen bra relation med min pappa). Det är bara så det har blivit i min familj...

Tiffany said...

re Carro: Tråkigt? Varför skulle det vara tråkigt?

re Kajsa: Haha jo. XD Det är okej.

Caroline said...

Tråkigt inom citattecken då.. xD

Tiffany said...

re Carro: OKej, jag fattar inte riktgt men jaja XD

Elin said...

Really I only know stuff about my parents because they tell us without us asking. If we just happen to land on that subject they tell their views. I haven't been to the cinema with my parents since I was really little xD But we do hang out at home and I can laugh and joke with them like friends sometimes, especially mum. You can't? :O

Tiffany said...

re ELin: Well I told I wasn't normal