Sunday 30 January 2011

Review: Yes, they both reached for the gun

Razzle Dazzle them and they'll ask you for more.
As a celebration of ending the first term on Friday, me and my friend went and saw "Chicago".

Having seen and fallen in love with the Hollywood remake of Chicago (2002), you can surely say I had high expectations of the musical.

The musical takes us to the 1920's when jazz, liquor and dance roamed the streets of Chicago. Roxie Hart, a simple mechanic's wife, dreams of a life on stage and the murder of her lover seems to be just the break she'd always wanted. But surely publicity isn't everything especially if you locked in and fighting over the same lawyer as the jazz star Velma Kelly.

Except for being slightly annoyed with Sarah Soeteart's (Roxie) screechy voice, I was peed-my-pants excited about all the actresses and actors. I particularly liked Vivien Carter as Velma who had the most amazing pipes despite her size. The dancers were just simply brilliant (not to mention the male ones -pathetically hot-)

Unlike the movie, the musical didn't have much of the jaw dropping sets and props, in fact they hardly had anything on that square metre of a stage, which was a slight dissappontment. But all in all it was 2 hours of pure joy. Several times during the show I found myself with the biggest grin on my face, that is when I didn't sing along. (Felt kind of sorry for the Swedish couple sitting next to me though).

"Hello, suckers. Welcome back."

Chicago (1997) Chicago Partnership, Cambridge Theatre, London
Performance: 28/01/11

Tiffany

0 comments: