Sunday 3 October 2010

Enlightened at last

I'm Miserablesized, I'm sitting in my Les Mis t-shirt and singing along to On My Own. I'm serious.

Let me just firstly say, the O2 arena is ENORMOUS! I mean I thought Wembley Arena was big but this was like thrice the size. So my seat was basically at the very top just at the side of the scene. So basically I was sitting above the scene, so I saw the whole scene, the orchestra (I did feel jealous), the choir and so on.

So beside me I got these 2 young girls both wearing a Les Mis t-shirt, the more I heard talk talking the more I felt as a fraud. Why? They were talking about the actors and who they thought were a better Valjean/Cosette etc and how they loved this song and that song. While I knew NONE of the actors and have basically only listened to the songs which Marius is in. I felt like the biggest fraud, because I was there for one purpose and one purpose only, Nicholas Jerry Jonas.

I've never seen the musical and that says a lot, I could bet £1000 that there were people in there that had seen it 5 times or more. So even if I wanted to socialize with the girls beside me I couldn't, one word and my cover would have been blown.

The concert started (not on time which they were very strict about) and it very much like the 10th anniversary with the micstands and the actors coming and going singing the songs. These people are really something else, they're on a whole different level of singing. They are 10 times better than any artist with an album, their voices are truly amazing. Not mentioning the kids, they are just mindblowing. Especially the boy playing Gavroche, he was just sick.

After the excitement attack during the first 2 minutes Nick appeared I could honestly sthought he was really good. But obviously he's not as strong as a singer as the others, but he do have a really nice voice and it was wonderful to watch how into his character he was (makes me even angrier that I couldn't see him in the musical).


What I find refreshing is the really powerful songs to the dark and heavy story. It's gripping and beautiful to watch. The Eponine-Marius relationship is so sad I can actually start cry right here right now. It's official I'm enlightened at last.

(PS. I strongly recommend Red & Black and Empty Chairs At Empty Tables)

Sincerely yours,
Tiffany

0 comments: