Thursday 14 October 2010

Oh, Zachary

So me and my friend saw The Life and Death of Charlie St. Cloud, using Orange Wednesday and all (the ticket was £2.80, freakin' £2.80!).

For me it felt as if I knew everything about this movie already, having gone to the premiere and watched the trailer 9576 times on repeat on the big screen there. But as a steadfast Efron supporter (note support-er!) I wouldn't think for one second of not seeing the movie.
All in all we see Efron in a deeper and mature role as Charlie St Cloud, the golden sailor boy with his whole future planned out (hello Stanford yo!). However, his whole world falls over board when he gets into a car accident killing his younger brother, Sam. As a sign of his incapability of forgiving himself he sees Sam (in spirit-memory shape). Charlie makes a promise to see him every day at sunset.

I knew this was a major bawl movie (I cried just seeing the trailer for the 1st time, ok?!) so I was warned and prepared..or so I thought. Although Zac does the happy, dancing teen role so well I must say he almost does the broken, remorseful brother even better. It was heartbreaking really.

But I have to say other than the gripping beginning there wasn't much to the movie. It was bland and fairly predictable. The only thing that kept the movie somehow interesting was the guessing game of whether Charlie really was seeing his brother or if he was a complete nutjob.
Apart from Zac I also thought Augustus Prew did a really good job as Charlie's wacky British slash Australian friend.

Cheers,
Tiffany Phan

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Humm, jag tyckte inte den var såå förutsägfull ändå! Men men, jag tyckte den var rätt hyfsad bra. Kan väl bero på att jag inte alls hade några förväntningar på filmen.

Tiffany said...

Well den ända twisten var ju liksom det med Tess. Annars va den rätt förutsägbar tyckte jag.