Wednesday 29 June 2011

Review: Actually very super

Picture: Paramount Pictures

I promised myself a while ago that I'd think twice before watching a sci-fi movie (after Knowing) or a movie with a bunch of kids in the lead (after Narnia 3). So what made me throw myself headfirst to go and watch Super 8? 3 reasons: 1. Elle Fanning. 2. J.J Abrams 3. Elle Fanning. (Not even joking)

Super 8 is set out in a small town in Ohio during the late 70's. When 13-year old Joe Lamb (Joel Courtney) loses his mother in an accident, he's left battling with the loss and the distant relationship with his police father. Thoughts of his mom were put on hold when his best friend Charles (Riley Griffiths), an amateur movie maker, asks beautiful Alice (Elle Fanning) to star in his latest project. While filming a scene for Charles' entry for a film festival, they witness a catastrophic train crash which releases an unknown creature. Not before long strange things starts to happen in the city.

What I love most about Super 8, is it's story telling. I love the deliberate mystique around the creature, and that as the characters learn more about the creature the more we get to see more of it. The cast is just as brilliant, you know I'm a sucker for brilliant child actors (man, I'm in that age this kind of sentences can be taken wrong), even AJ Michalka was watchable.

I truly enjoyed the movie, I laughed, I cried and I screamed. You know, just as much as I love to be the only person in the cinema screaming out loud I was genuinely, as my friend would say, shitting bricks.

Tiffany strongly recommends.

Toodles.

2 comments:

Elin said...

First thing I did after reading this was asking Love if we should see it.

And... I think you accidentally added a Swedish word there. Charles' bidrag?

Tiffany said...

Haha, YOU SHOULD! Yes, that's me putting in words to change later and then I forget. :P Thanks for the heads up :)