Saturday 18 June 2011

101 Pet peeves

A while ago I started #101petpeeves on my Twitter where I list things I find really annoying and/or hard to stand. RELAX I'm not actually going to come up with 101 things, but here goes a few (including those on my Twitter). The order doesn't classify their degree of annoyance.

  • People who write 'lol': Firstly, there ought to be at least one capital letter in there since it's an abbreviation of laughing out loud. Secondly, you're not really laughing out loud so don't write it (in abbreviated or any form). Thirdly, simply writing lol makes whatever you say before or after 10 times less intelligent. What's wrong with writing haha? (Then again I write XD a lot, which is almost just as bad)
  • People who 'likes' things on Facebook: Especially people who like statuses. Even though it's a great ego boost when people 'like' your status, you know they don't really like what you're saying/doing. It's more like they want to acknowledge your status, whether it's "I just had a steak" or "Ryan Gigg is an [insert degrading noun of your choice]". What's the point? People who 'like' everything on their newsfeed should be banned.
  • Incorrect use of it's an its: Actually any grammatical error make my eyes hurt. This may be my production editor days talking but they really do annoy the heck out of me. (I know, I know, I make them too)
  • Tourists: Sorry, but 2 years of living in London genuinly justifies this. I just can't stand their 10x10 metres foldout maps, their "comfortable" shoes, their slow motion walking pace in the underground and the lists goes on. Most of all I can't stand their general noob-ness. Let me just put it out there that I strongly dislike tourists on the tube, but above all; Spanish tourists in the tube.
  • The ending sequence at news programmes: I always feel so awkward for the broadcaster when he awkwardly fixes his notes or pretending to fix something on the laptop at the very end of the programme. It's even worse when there are two of them, and they have to pretend to talk to each other or awkwardly stare at each other. Once it was actually so bad I had to make myself not watch the TV screen. (OCD much?)
  • Interviewers asking stupid and/or obvious questions: (Oh dear, the Oscars are full of them.) I hate standardised questions (questions that have been asked 1000s times already) and I hate questions that have obvious answers -"When you started doing this film, did you ever think it would become this massive?" Well obviously! Even if he/she actually thought so he's not going to tell you is he?! Or just really awkward questions - "Why don't you like hugs?"
  • Pictures of oneself/girlfriend/children as cellphone background picture: I get that you obviously love whoever person on the picture but you seriously don't need to see that person's face everytime you do something on your phone. It's awful and it's tacky.
Love,
Tiffany

5 comments:

Carrroo said...

Fan finns en tjej som jag knappt känner som likear allt! Blir tokig. Typ när man lagt upp ett album likear hon alla bilder. Come on liksom! :@

Tiffany said...

Aså de får like va dem vill men, fattar inte vrf de ska like allting utan att verkligen göra det.

Elin said...

Jag stör mig sönder på grammatiska fel. Specifikt folk som inte kan skilja på your och you're eller then och than, eller särskrivning på svenska >.<

Stör mig lite på like-knappen på Facebook. Säg nånting istället, liksom :P

Tiffany said...

re Elin: Usch, har aldrig varit riktigt bra på särskrivning i Svenska men nu är den sjukt mkt sämre. Så svensk särskrivning/grammatik har jag inte rätt att störa mig på. XD

Elin said...

Att undvika särskrivning är enkelt. Hur uttalas det? Säger du Buss.Chaufför eller busschaufför? :P Och är du osäker, skriv ihop det ändå. Allt är hopskrivet på svenska. Det är svårare med engelska. När ska man skriva ihop och när ska man inte göra det? Brukar kompromissa med ett bindestreck mellan orden om jag är osäker, så blir det eventuellt rätt på brittisk engelska xD