Saturday 22 October 2011

Sometimes I wonder

Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth it. You know with school, university and getting a degree.

If you haven't gone through university, I'm afraid you can't possibly understand the incredible internal struggle it puts you through. There's not only the physical efforts such as setting aside time and effort to study but the psychological efforts you have to exert just to be able to deal with everything that comes with higher learning.

Believe me, making yourself sit down and study for exams is just one little fraction of that cerebral civil war which constantly goes on in your head.

Not only do you have to exert a ridiculously high amount of (in my case) physiological efforts to be  sociable to fellow students and/or colleagues, you also have to battle with constant pressure to do extra curricular activities to boost your worthless CV. What's most psychologically demanding is however coming to terms with having to deal and produce coursework and exams which demand things you're light years away from being capable to deliver.

The overwhelmingness and feelings of insufficiency (not to mention during a long period of time) beats your brain up. It simply drains you. It drains the hell out of you.

People who don't have a degree survive, right? Despite their obvious disadvantages, they still live on, don't they? Yes, I have the opportunity to get a much better job than they do. But enduring three years of intense psychological battles (which probably will leave me slightly mentally disturbed) to gain a degree from an university that's - let's just say - neither Oxford or Cambridge, just to get this 'opportunity', is it really worth it?

4 comments:

Elin said...

I completely agree with you.

The psychological part is intense, even to the extent that I two days ago had a mental breakdown and just sat crying my eyes out at the pile of coursework I had to do.

Tiffany said...

I'm glad it's not just me. It's hard, but what can you do? It's not like I'm gonna throw in the towel 7 months before graduation. Anyway, GAMBATTE!

Siiri Liitiä said...

I'm still in high school, and to be honest, this year has been laughably easy...
But I still wish you luck in your studies - I'm sure you won't regret them later on, and there's not too long to go anymore, right? :)

Tiffany said...

re Siiri: Gosh, I'm tearing up! Thank you so much! I'm happy at least one of us is having an easy time at school.