Thursday 16 December 2010

I'm embarrassingly naive

So I'm currently watching the "War You Don't See" (ITV1) (when I was first writing this), a documentary about the aspects of wars that is never shown in media and therefore completely ignored by the public, mostly because my journalism teacher told us to (well not really but you know when they say "well I'm going to watch it anyway" what they really mean is "watch it or else!"). It really complements Fahrenheit 9/11 which I finally (no comment..) saw last weekend.

It's really remarkable of how embarrassed I feel for not being fully aware of the background for the Iraqi war and how the greatest powers in the world was able to fool the people of the world. How is it that a Government can fabricate reasons for invading a country? How is it even possible to even think that you can get away with something like this?

I've always thought people that claimed the US invaded Iraq for profits and so on were simply biased. Obviously they were anti-US or had personal reasons for being against the US. I just thought they were flaunting with their conspiracy theories, because why would something like that be true? It couldn't, it shouldn't.

As I'm watching the documentary, a feeling of hoplessness and embarrassment rushed over me.
There is absolutely nothing I can do to prevent governments hiding information or lie to me. Nothing, and it makes me feel useless.

I am outright embarrassed to find all of this surprising. Why is it that it's so hard for me to comprehend the massive amount of information that is held from the public about wars? What is wrong with me? Where does my view that there ought to be good in everyone come from? Where does the view that the world is fair or at least strive to be fair come from? I'm being extremly naive aren't I, or is the world just really screwed up?

Yours truly,
Tiffany

0 comments: