Thursday 29 September 2011

The longest Les Mis write up ever seen

For you Les Mis fans out there, here's a more elaborate analysis (probably very long one) of the Malmö production. So if you don't have all day, here's the shorter review.

The music
Although most of it had the orchestration from the Stockholm 1990 recording and to a greater extent also the original London recording, there are also a few snippets of newer settings. So if you're a fan of the original interval in Sörjande Kvinnor (Turning) and the longer version of Little people (which nowadays are limited to 2 lines), then this is going to be very much to your pleasing. As I’m a (frantic) fan of the 25th anniversary orchestrations, I wasn’t too crazy about the settings.

Having prepped myself with the lyrics from the Stockholm recording, I wasn’t exactly over the moon when I realised they had changed about half of them. Why they did so on the other hand is questionable. Changing “Sången om unga arga män” to “Sången om arga unga män” (in Folkets sång/Do You Hear..) or ”Fast jag vet, jag vet att han är blind” to ”Fast jag ser, jag ser att han är blind” (in För Mig Själv/On My Own), don’t make any difference in my opinion.

The choreography
Se Ner Photo: Malin Arnesson
The Malmö prod. is four times more choreographed than the West End production. Every scene with the ensemble is meticulously choreographed, often with the ensemble moving in unison to the beat. This is especially stunning in a segment in Se Ner (Look Down), in which the ensemble squeezes tightly together and slowly stretches out their arms in different directions to symbolise their miserable begging.

While most of it is visually stunning, the choreographed moves limit the acting a great deal. For example, I love watching the Master of the House scene in the WE prod. because it’s interesting watching what each guest is doing as well as all the scams Thénardier are pulling on their customers. All of this is almost gone in the scene in the Malmö prod. because the cast follows a choreography.

Leathers galore Photo: Malin Arnesson
The costumes
Historical correctness is a foreign concept here. Forget the crepes, cravats and high neck shirts and say hello to leather corset dresses, wine-red floor sweeping coats, bare arms and 18th century wigs. Still, the periodically incorrectness and gothic costumes works well in the musical, as it accentuate the modernisation of the musical - and frankly they’re just so darn beautiful.

Besides the white baby doll dresses for the prostitutes, there is another major costume arrangement blunder. Imagine a 70s punk rocker; the green fitted jacket (with pins on the collar), the tulle skirt, the combat boots and as a cherry on the top add a giant green bow on the head. That is Éponine my friend, yes Éponine.

The scenes

The scene that bothers me most is Sköna Damer (Lovely ladies). I’m not a big fan of Lovely Ladies in general but I really don’t like how they’ve changed the whole tone of the scene in this production. Instead of having the prostitutes sing the song (which is really the whole point of the song), it's the madams/pimpettes (plus the occasional nuns who acts as pimpettes-confusing yes), the pimp and (correct me if I'm wrong) the buyers who sings it. With the graphic poses, ruthless buyers, the madams tugging on their prostitutes and their empty facial expressions, the scene accentuates on how miserable and forced the prostitutes are, making the whole scene very raw and sinister. While this may be more accurate to the real situation, I miss the sassy and confident lovely ladies in the WE production (but perhaps it's just my prude talking).

Although I was hugely disappointed with Herre I Sitt Hus (Master of the House), since it's one of my favourite scenes in the WE production, there are some additions to the scene that I liked. I love how they've given young Éponine's a bigger role. She's the ginger ball of frizz among the dozens of grey drunkards (all looking like they're in a zombie version of Cats). Being present in the entire scene I keep eyeing back to her and love seeing her play with her doll, be repulsed by a guest offering her wine and so on.

A scene in the Malmö prod. that I prefer over the WE one, yes hold on to your hat, is the Sewer scene. Adding Madame Thénardier to the scene and having her picking the pockets of the dead students makes Thénardier's Hund Äter Hund (Dog Eats Dog) more eventful and less dull. I absolutely love her playing dead when Valjean approaches with Marius on his back. The interaction between the Thénadiers in the scene is simply golden.

The characters
(Left) Ida Högberg, Mathilda Ahnell, Philip Jalmelid
Photo: Malin Arnesson
Éponine - Despite her disastrous new attire (it's difficult to take her seriously because of it), I do like the character changes they've made. She's more like brick-Nancy Sullivan-Éponine; carefree, radiant and bratty. I like that she helps the Thénardiers to beg in The Robbery and how she messes with Marius' hair and thinks (sings) he's peculiar.

For me, it's a logical development of her character, I don't like the Disneyfied and silly Éponine you see so often nowadays. (Yes,the whole love triangle is very sweet and touching, but is there no way to have both?). Still I don't think Ida Högberg delivered this Éponine very well, I never really felt that she was in love with Marius which in turn takes away all the sentimentality from A Little Fall of Rain.

Marius - I extremely disliked Philip Jalmelid's Marius when I first saw this production, because he's practically the opposite of brick Marius (whom I'm very fond of). He's easygoing, playful and very expressive (I'm talking about spinning around out of joy). However in the last show (I saw) I started to think he was quite charming and he does the awkward part quite well (the awkward wave to Cosette is precious!).

There's no reason why a character who's nothing like its brick-self can't be brilliant and I'm sure that Philip will become more and more convincing the more shows he does. (He doesn't have an understudy so he ought to)

Enjolras - I said in my review that I liked Anders Gjönnes as Enjolras, but after 2 more shows I'm not sure anymore. The Malmö prod's Enjolras is very different from the WE one who's very idealistic, serious and inspirational. Enjolras is now a wild and vulnerable character who, during the the battles, seem to enjoy the fighting, perhaps a bit too much. He doesn't come across as someone who's burning for liberty and freedom of the people, just someone who wants to stuck up his nose to the bourgeois.

Not only are the students reduced in number but also in clothing (the whole bunch of them run around bare armed and with very tight revealing pants). Together with lack of passion, you simply don't believe in them and it's clearer than ever that they're going to lose the battle even before it has started.

Grantaire - Having been introduced to Gleen Daniel Nilsson (played Marius in the Finnish-Swedish production in Åbo), I had an extra eye on him during the whole show (his foreman is perfectly sleazy and cruel). Out of all the characters portrayed in this prod. he's a close first to Fred Johanson's Javert, very close!

His Grantaire has no interest in the revolution whatsoever, he even crinkles a flyer Courfeyrac hands him. It's clear that he's there for one purpose and one purpose only-Enjolras. Seeing him admire (I'd like to use the word 'fangir'l but that would seem a unprofessional), on the brink of squealing, Enjolras in Folkets Sång (Do You Hear..), put a huge smile on my face. He's adorable! I like that he's less of "the drinker" and more of "the disbeliever" in this prod. I also love his relationship with Gavroche and that he's the one catching Gavroche when he dies.

Thénardier- Peter Harrysson as I said is rather worthless as Thénardier. However his understudy David Lindquist is GOLDEN (notice the caps)! He does the comedic character absolutely spot on. Being the opposite to Harrysson, Lindquist is all over the place; dancing, standing on chairs, waving with his arms etc. I like the fact that he actually hears Madame Thénardier telling (singing) her part in Herre i Sitt Hus (Master of The House) and becomes upset but disregard it as soon as the guests sings "his tune" again. He's without a doubt the funniest Thénardier I've seen.

And lastly, if anyone gets the symbolism behind the Wolf, please let me know!

10 comments:

Siiri Liitiä said...

I read it all, can I have a cookie now? ;)

No, but seriously, I still can't wait to see this for myself.
I'm of course a bit sad that not everything works out that well (though I kind of think Éponine's new style is pretty fun - though I see it may not work in the show that well...), but at least this'll be different from everything I've seen before. So, I'm sure the trip won't be a complete waste of time.

Hm, Jalmelid's Marius, judging by your description, seems a bit similar to Glenn's - he spun Éponine around out of joy, not too Brick-like... :D But as you say, non-Brick-like characters can work too.
Aw, less students? But why would you do that? D:
And then Glenn's Grantaire... Sounds brilliant, I just can't wait! Tore Norrby, the ÅST Grantaire, is a really non-traditional one: he could be described as Enjolras's bro. They have their little differences but stand side by side after all - ÅST's Grantaire has no basis in the novel whatsoever. While he sings so well it's a shame his role is so small, I'm still really eager to see different portrayals of the part! And Glenn's sounds brilliant! I'm fangirling already! :D

So, not feeling over-enthusiastic, but still a bit excited. I'll surely write my own review when the time comes!

Tiffany said...

Seriously Siri, if you'd been in London now I'd give you a whole bag of cookies haha.

No I feel like I've ruined the show for you now! You should be enthusiastic about it! Really! It's very different from the WE and there are loads of things that I prefer in this prod. over the WE one.

The only thing that you shouldn't be enthusiastic about is if you get Peter Harrysson as Thénardier, that's the only thing.

Haha, I'm actually really looking forward to know what you think about it now. When are you seeing it again?

Siiri Liitiä said...

No need to feel like that at all - I'm pretty good at emptying my head from all preconceptions! I'll try to do that before leaving for Malmö, again, and shall form my own opinion for sure. :) November 5th!

Elin said...

I read the whole thing too. Didn't know what to answer though. Still don't really but I still feel I should comment. Comments make one happy right? :D

Our reviews kind of go together, they only differ on some points. I'll know more when I've seen the regular Thénardier :)

tweetyswede said...

This is tweetyswede from tumblr - saw your link when you reblogged and had to read your throughts!

I fully agree that Eponine's costume was distracting. I almost had a hard time remembering that it WAS Eponine.

I did see Peter Harrysson as Thenardier and was, well, very unimpressed. I've been thinking of seeing another time to catch a couple more alternates (saw Mathilda Ahnell as Cosette and Andreas Eldeen as Enjolras) - I take it I would do well to book a date when David Lindquist is on?

As my tumblr post said, I loved Jalmelid as Marius. Definitely some big brick-differences, but I was so happy to hear a Marius who could sing I didn't even care.

The one thing I didn't like about the staging was the barricade scenes - I missed having an actual barricade, and Enjolras not getting his moment in death, so to speak.

Tiffany said...

re Elin: Thank you dear! I really appreciate it.

re Tweetyswede: (Shite, I wrote a really long reply 2 days ago and just realized it's not even on here! GAH)

First off, I'm glad you've read it all! :) When I realised who Éponine was during my first show, my jaw literrally dropped. How could have changed her costume so much?!

You didn't see Anders Gjönnes as Enjolras?! Then you really need to go again! Haha. Also, I think Emmi Christensson is better than Mathilda. David Lundquist is absolutely amazing as Thénardier, seriously people who've seen Harrysson have been ripped off (no offence).

I agree about the barricades. That was one fo the things I had to cut out so that this wouldn't bee a 2000 word post (although it might seem to be anyway). I was really disappointed at the Final Battle! One of the most powerful moments in the whole musical is the crescendo in the end of the Final Battle when you see Enjolras hanging upside down. It marks that it is really over and it's just a really emotional scene. All of which was missing int he Malmö prod. I didn't liek the barricade set in general, are there 3 abrricades or what?

tweetyswede said...

Well, in that case I shall definitely go again! Would like to see Annica Edstam as Fantine, too, which works out nicely since she's going to be on when David Lunquist is on as well.

Andreas Eldeen was really good, though! I was almost disappointed when I realised I wouldn't be seeing him again. *g* If you haven't seen him I just tumbler'd a clip yesterday.

I was really disappointed at the Final Battle! One of the most powerful moments in the whole musical is the crescendo in the end of the Final Battle when you see Enjolras hanging upside down. It marks that it is really over and it's just a really emotional scene.

My thoughts exactly. It's my single favourite moment in the show and I felt kind of cheated when I realised it wasn't going to happen. It's so powerful the way it's usually done, and this way it lost most of its impact. It all became so anticlimactic. And I agree, the barricade set in general was lacking.

Tiffany said...

re Tweetyswede: My sister saw Annica Edstam and said she was a lot better than Karolin. I wish I could've seen her! Haha.

Cool, I'll check out the clip right now!

Btw, you haven't enabled your ask on tumblr so I can't message you! :(

tweetyswede said...

Ha, I couldn't figure out how to turn messaging on, but finally managed it!

I wasn't too impressed with Karolin Funke, so I think I'll definitely pick a date when she's off. Plus, I saw Annica Edstam as Eponine when they did Les Mis in Malmö in 2001, so it would be extra fun to see her again.

Anonymous said...

off white hoodie
paul george
bape hoodie
moncler jackets
supreme
kd shoes
golden goose sneakers
bape clothing
jordans
nike off white