Saturday 9 April 2011

Review: The kids were not really all right

Even the poster looks more promising.
Having a bit of a time off from billions of school assignments and the internship, I finally sat down and saw The Kids Are All Right (2011) which I bought for my birthday, which was 3 weeks ago. (WIN!)

I actually wanted to see this movie ever since I saw the trailer (which was waaay back when I saw Charlie St. Cloud in the cinema).

The Kids are All Right centers a family of 2 kids and their lesbian parents. We're introduced to a tight and surprisingly well-functioning family (no bullying, no weird kids, no judging looks by neighbours, no nothing). Problems arises as the kids, Joni (Mia Wasikowska) and Laser (Josh Hutherson) get in contact with their biological father, Paul (Mark Ruffalo).

Having expected a roaring comedy taking on a novel topic, I have to say I was disappointed (yes with the oscars, grammy and every possible award nominations taken into consideratiopn). Not only was I misled to think it was a comedy but the movie didn't fully deliver the dynamics of a gay couple and their children. Perhaps I'm stereotyping but I just feel they failed to include anything that could potentially be interesting. Or perhaps I'm just grumpy because I was expecting a few more laughs and less butts and moaning sounds.

Sincerely,
Tiffany

0 comments: